Monday, April 7, 2008

Dangers in the IZ

Many of you probably know that the last few weeks have been a bit dangerous here in the IZ. There are so many political fights (Iraqi politics, that is) that I can't begin to keep up with them, much less understand them. Add to that the fact that Gen. Petraeus and Ambassador Crocker are in Washington this week to brief our leaders and you get a volatile situation as the insurgents look for the next "CNN moment".

But, for us in the IZ, it's been a bit of a distraction. I returned from my R&R to find a group of sleep-deprived colleagues who have been sleeping on cots. But, overall, morale is quite high. The insurgent attacks are seen as an inconvenience. There have been some deaths associated with the recent attacks. The threat is real. But, our job is real; our efforts are genuine; our desire to do something good for this country is undeniable. We press on, take all precautions suggested and keep moving ahead. Are we right, wrong or just crazy? History will be the judge. In the meantime, I've got to go grab my sleeping bag and toothbrush so I can sleep on a cot tonight!!

No comments: