Monday, April 7, 2008

Back to the Green Zone

Gee, sorry for my tardiness in posting! My mother passed away in Feb, so I went back home for 2 weeks emergency leave. Then, we had a big conference here in March, and immediately after that I took my 3 weeks of R&R and returned home. It's been a busy few months.

I'm back in the Green Zone (aka IZ - International Zone) now. During my absence there were a number of rockets fired into the IZ, and some deaths. People here in the IZ had been instructed to sleep in the Embassy, so there have been hundreds of cots brought in. People had been sleeping in the hallways, offices and large rooms all over the Embassy. When I returned a few days ago, that restriction had been lifted, so I was able to enjoy the last few nights in the privacy of my little hooch. Well, today the restriction was put back in place and I'll be sleeping in the Embassy tonight. At least I'll be in a semi-private room!

My R&R was anything but! However, it sure was good to see friends and family!

More later!

No comments: