Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sunday - Thursday

Our "official work week" runs from Sunday - Thursday, that corresponds to the Middle Eastern work week, in most of the countries.  Friday is the Muslim holy day, and Saturday, I guess is a day off!

For most of us working here, Friday and Saturday are just another day.  We probably sleep a little later, and might do some laundry, and then go to the office. After all, there isn't much else to do!

Speaking of laundry, we have two choices.  We have a regular laundry and dry cleaners, and also a self-service laundromat.  The laundry is staffed by people from Sri Lanka who are very friendly and efficient.  Turn-around for "wash and press" is 2-3 days, dry cleaning takes a week.  Most of us send our pants and shirts to the cleaners, and then do socks, underwear, sheets, etc. in the self-service laundry. 

The staff at the cleaners have this quaint custom (that's the best way I can explain it).  When you turn in your laundry, you get a receipt.  After they fill out your receipt and tear your copy from the book, they fold it very precisely and gently, before handing it to you.  I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I've never handed in any laundry that they didn't go through that little ritual!  I have to admit that I find it a nice custom, almost respectful, or something like that.

Oh, speaking of the laundry staff.  I turned in some clothing the other week and one of the guys from Sri Lanka asked me, "where you from?"  I told him from the States, and he nodded that he understood (well, at least that's what I guessed that nod meant).  Then he asked, "you have teeth white medicine at home?"  I looked puzzled for a minute, then figured out that he was talking about something to whiten teeth.  I replied that, "Yes, our dentists have treatments they do in the office."  He then motioned across his top teeth, and I figured out he was talking about the tooth whitening strips!  "Yes", I said, "we have those, too".  So, he smiled at me and asked, "You bring some to me when you go home, yes?"  
Of course I said "Yes", that's such a small price to pay for such friendly and efficient service!  

No comments: