Monday, January 21, 2008

The Movie Theatre

In the basement of the Embassy (Saddam's former Republican Palace) is a movie theatre. From the looks, it wasn't added on by us, it was an original part of the Palace. Now it's known as the "Palace Theatre". It only seats about 45 people (I guess Saddam didn't have many friends). The seats are very nice, with plenty of leg room. A short guy like myself can really stretch out here, and I don't have to worry about hitting the seat in front of me. Everyone can move around easily without feeling like you're about to fall into somebody's lap.

The Theatre is active every night. We have a movie at 7:30 and again at 10:00. There's even a popcorn machine. I'm guessing that might be an American touch, but who knows. It feels a little strange to sit in the theatre and know that Saddam Hussein once sat here, too. Wonder if he sat in this exact chair that I now occupy?

The theatre is part of the entertainment program here. The movies vary from the Chipmunks to Terminator....you just never know what might be available from one night to the next. There's also an outdoor theatre, out by the pool. I think the attendance at the outdoor pool has been off quite a bit lately because of the cold weather. But, regardless of whether we go to theinside or outside theatre, having movies to pass the time is a good thing.

No comments: