Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Getting Started and "The Typewriter"

I've been in Iraq for over 2 months now.  My intentions of keeping a journal have fallen short...shall I say "way short" of my goal??  Well, I'd rather type than write, so I'm thinking this blog might be the best way to keep that journal and keep family and friends updated on my experiences.

First, I'm not posting much information about my identity for security reasons.  Those of you reading this will know who I am.  Second, names of individuals I mention here have been changed to protect their identity. Finally, if you post anything here, I ask you to use caution, too.   Your initials will be good enough, and no need to mention a town, county or even a state.

OK, what am I doing in Iraq?  Hopefully, I'm contributing in some small way to the reconstruction efforts in Iraq, which are part of "Operation Iraqi Freedom".  Why would I do this?  As I've told a few folks, agriculture is important to those of us in the U.S., but it's always in the background.  Food in our country is so cheap and plentiful that we take it for granted.  That's not the situation in Iraq.  This is the time and place in history where agriculture meets Iraqi reconstruction efforts, and our national security.  For an agriculturalist, this is an opportunity not to be missed.
Now, some stories!  Let me tell you about the typewriter!  Before coming here I had to undergo 3 weeks of training in Washington D.C.  The training covered a variety of topics...PRT (Provincial Reconstruction Team) structure and goals, history of Iraq, Military/Civilian teamwork, Islam, Arabic customs, a few hours of Arabic language, First Aid, security, etc.  During one lunch break during the first week, the organizers arranged to have 2 Iraqi women visit with us as we ate lunch.  The first lady to speak was probably in her late 60's.  She (Hasna') and her husband (Saud) had left Iraq during the early years of Saddam Hussein's reign to pursue an education in the U.S.  She related this story that I hope to never forget.  
Saud and Hasna' came to the States with little money, and few possessions...only their clothing and most precious photographs in their delapidated luggage.  Within a few days of their arrival, they made a trip to the local Goodwill store where they were puchasing items necessary to start life in a new country.  They were buying sheets and blankets, some dishes and utensils, pots and pans....the typical items necessary to start over.  As she was pushing their buggy down the aisle, her husband stepped away and came back in a few minutes carrying a typewriter, and he had a huge smile on his face.   They had little money and no jobs, they couldn't afford something as useless as a typewriter...besides, as he played with it a little they discovered that it didn't work 100%!  "Put it back," she insisted!  Saud said, "Please, I must have it!"  She asked him what he was doing with something as unnecessary as a typewriter? He wouldn't listen...he had to have that typewriter, and finally Hasna' agreed.  Why?
Under Saddam's rule, owning a typewriter was forbidden!  It wasn't just forbidden, it was against the law, and punishable by death.  To Saud, the typewriter represented freedom!  Freedom to think, and to type what he thought! Freedom to get an education!  It's a freedom that few of us in the US can comprehend, because it's so available!  Hasna' closed by telling us that as they enter retirement, they still have that typewriter today.  It sits on their bookshelf in a place of high honor.  To them, that broken old typewriter represents the opportunity that America gave that young, broke, and hopeful couple so many years ago.  
Could I be part of an effort that brings that kind of hope, and opportunity, to the people of Iraq?  If the answer is "yes", or even "maybe", how can I not try?  That's why I'm here. 

No comments: